Students in the McKinley Elementary music program will be learning music skills based on the 9 national standards for music education as listed by MENC:
1. Singing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
3. Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Reading and notating music.
6. Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Understanding relationships between music, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
To accomplish these standards, students will experience an active musical learning environment with foundations in the philosophies of Orff-Schulwerk. For more information on this exciting way of teaching and learning music, click here.